Let's start with the small steps forward for today. Here is Dear Jane block I12 or Fred's Square Fair. Those HST (half square triangles) are 1 inch unfinished. To make my life easier, I bordered two sides of each HST with the background fabric to make a 1.5 inch square. I attached these squares as flip triangles as if I were making flying geese.
And this is Dear Jane block L8 or Box Kite.
A few posts ago I mentioned that I had begun to lay out the Dear Jane blocks on table tops to figure out my color choices and sew some sections together. This was my compromise to avoid interference my Molly. Obviously, that didn't last long.
Buddy is inspecting the ones that landed on the floor.
In case you have forgotten, Molly's original name was Hurricane. So after this pose, she took my chart of completed blocks and started to shred it.
Despite all the help I received today, I did sew nine of the blocks together and was able to stick it on the design wall just long enough to take a picture. These are blocks I1 through G3.
This is Dear Jane block H12 or Hannah Lou's Hearts. Although I had this quite closeup, it isn't until now when I'm looking at the photo that I see these hearts are in need of a bypass, or at least a stent or two. This is another odd block where the book differs from the actual quilt. Jane Stickle appliqued guitar pick shapes to form hearts while the book offers four hearts to applique. I knew Jane was wise to skip the deep cuts into the heart, so I followed her approach instead.
And here is Dear Jane block H10 or Ben's Bowtie. Happily, I did not tie myself up in knots over this block. (That joke was courtesy of Buddy...)
Is Molly guarding the sewing machine or huddling next to it to stay warm? You're right. She's waiting for her brother to come charging back into the room so she can give chase.
Here is Dear Jane block I8 or Pete's Paintbox. I am now laying out small sections of the quilt and filling in the holes. During the first part of making the quilt top, I just picked fabrics according to my mood. But now I'm being more careful so I don't have areas with a concentration of one color or value.
Here is the next door neighbor Dear Jane block I9 or Chase a Myth. I thought I could build this block up like an improv medallion, but I was sadly mistaken. What looks like flying geese are really some other species. So yes, I resorted to paper piecing for parts of this.
And here is Dear Jane block J8 or Anna's Anchor. From the looks of this one, the ship has met with some rough seas and is on a tilt.
In case you are counting, I have nine more blocks to go.
Here is Dear Jane block I7 or Mac and Muff. I spent more time thinking about making this block than actually making it. Just one of those days. And now I'm going to go and put away all of the stuff Molly has pulled out of the linen closet. She looked a bit surprised to have accomplished so much with so little effort.
Here is Dear Jane block I6 or Viewer's Choice. For reasons I don't understand, the original was created as a four patch with a seam down the middle. I thought I would take advantage of the Kaffe fabric instead.
And this is Dear Jane block K6 or Ann's Folly. It was also my folly because my first version had the stripes reversed with green in the middle. It may end up in the alternative universe pile. At this point, however, I have thirteen more Dear Jane blocks to go.
While I languish with the same project, Molly has moved on to new hobbies. As you can see behind her, I relented and unpinned the Dear Jane sections and she happily brought them to the floor where they apparently belong. And as you can see in front of her, she is now clearing fabric off of the cutting table.
Here is Dear Jane block L12 or Sally's Pride. In many of the Dear Jane blocks I have been sneaking in some applique to avoid difficult piecing. In this case, I used some easy piecing to avoid difficult applique. According to the Dear Jane book, the tiny triangles in the border are appliqued.
I, of course, use flip triangles wherever I can...those are the squares you sew on the diagonal and then iron the flap over. In this case I used 1.5 inch squares. I then trimmed them down to the tiny size (plus the seam allowance).
And this is Dear Jane block K9 or Scout's Honor.
And this is what the first six rows of the Dear Jane quilt look like. I have started to sew the blocks together in sections of nine (and twelve at the end of the row). This way I can have the blocks up on the design wall. When a naughty cat knocks them off the design wall, there are only eight sections to pick up. And just to be mean, I have these sections pinned. Molly was dangling from the wall trying desperately to get them to fall, to no avail.
Here's Molly plotting revenge. Oh, and I have no reason to believe that Molly was behind the internet hacking today. She says she didn't do it and I am taking her at her word.
Here is Dear Jane block L13 or Harvest Moon. This is my favorite type of block to make. Those of you making a circle a day might be less fond of this block.
First, I made two four patches where each four patch is at least 1/2 inch larger than the circle they will become. I carefully center and mark the circle on the back. Then I cut the circle out, baste around the seam allowance, and gather the seam around a Karen Buckley mylar circle.
Here are the prepared circles. I carefully center the largest circle on the background fabric.
Then I lay the smaller circle on top of the larger circle. Last but not least, I applique the two circles down. (I will trim away the excess fabric underneath later. If I remember.)
Molly thought it might be easier to understand the construction using cats. Molly says she represents the center circle (aka the center of the universe), while Buddy is the merely decorative outer crust that should hold still when the inner core bites him.