Tuesday, January 4, 2011


A 64X72 inch post-stamp charm quilt. Postage stamp refers to one-inch finished squares, and charm quilt means no repeat fabrics. So this is definitely an object, and more crazy than design. I began putting this together over a year ago. I first proposed the project as a joke, but I couldn't stop once started. And now it is finally finished.


And to construct it I cut short 1.5 inch strips then sewed four of these together. Then I cut them to size and pieced larger and larger blocks. I wanted a random look but went with local decisions. That is, I only made decisions about what to put next to what based on the pieces I had before me. (The other alternative is to lay it out and rearrange the squares "globally".)

1 comment:

Cassandra Tondro said...

Wait . . . are you saying that no two squares in the quilt are the same fabric? This is crazy! Or crazy-making, anyway. I can see why it took you a year to finish it.