Wednesday, July 5, 2017

More sewing

I made two more golden chickens today. These are speeding to the right.

I also decided to start making Amish nine patches. When I first started quilting, I was so inspired by Amish quilts that I exclusively used solids. As you may have noticed, I now almost exclusively use prints. I should also remind the youngsters out there, that in the late 70s, the choice of prints was quite limited. There were a few years when my local quilt store only had one bolt of yellow and just a few greens. However, in the 80s, there was quite a bounty of taupe.

I had stored away the solid fabrics back in Virginia, so they were out of sight and out of mind. But now they up and out, and tripping me as I make my way across the apartment. To reduce the tripping hazard, I've decided to make Amish nine patches until I'm inspired to make something.

And yes, Molly continues her adventures. In Virginia, she would climb the design wall and nap on top of the fabric shelving. Here, she scales the one fabric shelf, and settles down on top. Unfortunately, Oregon staff are incredibly lazy and have not made an easy way down from this perch. So Molly has to call me to come so she can jump on my shoulders and use me as her personal step stool. Here she wants me to quit taking her picture and help her down.

7 comments:

Frances Meredith said...

Good to see the fabric out and the helpers getting down to task.

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh lovely to see your Amish 9 patch blocks. I remember when the Roberta Horton book was published on Amish quilts, I was hooked and have recently been collecting solids again. Poor Molly, and your poor shoulders, hope you get a good set-up for her when you're all in your new place.

gayle said...

I remember those days of ugly prints in sad colors. I think I still have some of them out in the garage...
Will you be adding "cat ladder" to your resume?

Barbara said...

Purrsonally, we would use our paws to pull that pile to the floor. Sadie and Smitty

Julierose said...

Love the Amish 9-patches--great colors nice...hugs, Julierose

Goofin' Off Around the Block said...

Oh, but those chicken blocks make me smile every time I see them. When I first started quilting in the late '90s, the only place I could afford fabric was at my local JoAnns. So my fabric choices were limited to what was in stock and on sale. The idea of buying online really frightened me for a long time. I am happy to have so many choices now. Those Amish 9-patches are looking great. I can't wait to see what you do with them. --Andrea

QuiltGranma said...

since any light faces fabric I would have a sheet covering over the fabric in front and on top. Kitty would be on the sheet, not shedding hair and hair balls on it at my house. is hubby a handy man? have him build some narrow steps for kitty to get high, but not on catnip! (giggle) I've seen some wonderful cat trails overhead through some houses, on tv. They love them. steps up, walk ways, tunnels, and holes for them to hide in. oh, and love the chickens! At one time I collected a lot of solids to make Amish style quilts too. now the fabric thread count and weave has changed and I don't know if I can find appropriate fabric to put on the final border... boo hooo!