Sunday, October 1, 2017

Vintage Butterfly Quilts

Here are the bright vintage butterfly blocks. I started making this quilt and found some blocks were wispy and quiet, while another group were boisterous show-offs. The two groups did not get along. For the bright group, I'm wondering if they need wider sashing, or maybe they just need to be jammed next to each other. In any case, I've decided to make the quilts 6 X 7 blocks so I have 18 more bright blocks to make.

This is the quieter version. As you can see, quiet is relative. To see more exciting butterfly and kaleidoscopes, fly to Sane, Crazy, Crumby Quilts.  Butterflies group together on the first of each month.

6 comments:

Louise said...

They really look good grouped by brightness! Usually I'm drawn to brighter colors, but your (relatively) muted batch is my favorite this time.

gayle said...

I'll bet all those butterflies fluttered until Molly was compelled to knock them to the floor, right?

Cathy said...

Wow, I never wanted to do a butterfly block until I looked at your bright block all lined up like that. What a beautiful pattern they make! I can't wait to see how you finish off these tops...

Cathy said...

What a lovely study in loud and low volume butterflies.

Cathy said...

I forgot to say I like them both and they evoke different feelings (or moods???) for me. The bright ones make me feel happy and upbeat to look at them. The "low volume" seem to look more vintage and make me think of times past...er...evoke feelings of old age...er...I mean evoke feelings of wisdom.

Anyway...it shows how you shouldn't just mush all fabrics together like I do most of the time if you want to feel happy or wise.

Julianne said...

I love the bright version, its lovely! I am making one like Kathys...with a lagoon blue background and one color butterflys for each block. I have 21 blocks done, 9 to go!!